Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Nostalgic Tree - miniature

Nostalgic Tree - miniature
Acrylic on canvas, 2x3"
GOT Art Gallery Holiday Trunk Show
At Christmas time, I have a tree in every room, even tiny lit ones in the bathrooms.  The season is now upon me, and I am slowly getting the house decorated.  We almost always do this on the Saturday after Thanksgiving, but this year we had a family celebration at my Aunt Diana's house, so decorating was delayed a bit.  I have never painted a Christmas tree, and thought the dark of night would let the lights glow.  Today, I am painting miniatures - only 2 inches by 3 inches!  I haven't used acrylic paint for completing a painting in over a year, and when I picked them back up tonight, I had to work at them!  I wanted to lay them on thick, they did not comply.  I wanted to blend one into another, and they only did that when the first layer was still wet.  Since I need them dry by tomorrow, I had to use what would dry in a day.  My large brushes simply would not do when working in this size, so I had to dig around until I found a couple of tiny ones (which was easy, as I am a brush hoarder and will never run out of them).  Painting number 331 in as many days.

24 comments:

  1. You were able to capture the Magic of Christmas with this painting. Wonderful !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the kind words! I want to do a few more paintings of the trees lit at night - their glow in a dark room is magical :)

      Delete
  2. This is Gorgeous!!! Colors are just right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. luv Christmas Trees; have a nice Friday

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful glow to your christmas tree Tammie. Happy PPF, Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the colors! Unbelievable how you managed to do this on such a small canvas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So serene and looks so much like Christmas… great tiny piece.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a pretty christmas tree. I get a bit nostalgic feeling:) very beautiful painting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A gorgeous tree with a warm old timey feel to it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. it's amazing the soft, glowing colors and details you have gotten on a small canvas-gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the sepia tones you have used for your Christmas tree. Your painting is beautiful and very detailed for such a small piece :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This tree is beautiful. Wonderful!
    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a beautiful little tree. Thanks for showing it to us!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, that is kind of a special colour, but it makes sense because of the light you expect to shine from the tree. The atmosphere is there, absolutely! :-)
    Happy PPF
    Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your Christmas tree is beautiful and it certainly glows!! I also like the small size.

    ReplyDelete
  15. beautiful tree, you have captured the christmas magic!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the warm colors in your Christmas painting! Congratulations on being featured on PPF.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is lovely and so small too! Fantastic detail.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an adorable and festive miniature. I would never be able to work that small. Happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
  19. luv that tree; have a nice Saturday

    much love...

    ReplyDelete