Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Beneath the Flowering Plum

Beneath the Flowering Plum
Oil on panel, 12x9
Washington, Missouri - near the Missouri River
On the day of the Washington Sunrise Paint Out, this was the first scene that grabbed me in the town. Two other artists were already painting it, and as we were late from the 5am broadcast paint-out, I knew there was not enough time to do it justice.  Today, as I waited for Mike to have a procedure in the hospital, I combed through articles about color.  One after the other, I studied the words, gripped by the paintings they referred to.  Arriving home and after getting Mike settled and the housework finished, I went to this reference photo.  I wanted to apply some of the new found knowledge in this landscape.  Wow - what a way to hit home the lessons studied.  This is exactly how this place felt to me on that warm, sunny day - with the colors sparkling in the landscape.  Another day, another painting - this 498th was rewarding, indeed :)

1 comment:

  1. The colours are very relaxing and soothing, and it looks just the pleasantest corner of a garden to sit in and think about life and art. I love the way your colour choice is echoes throughout from the tree to the couch and to the fence, which creates a lovely semi-abstract feel to the painting.

    ReplyDelete